Sunday

Sun Butter is Just Better!

I confess...I used to stick my finger in the jar of peanut butter. Hey, my hands were clean!!! I couldn't help myself - all that lovely, velvety, sweet smoothness with a touch of crunch and saltiness that would stick to the roof of my mouth in that weird yet endearing way... pure heaven!

Sadly though, since discovering my various food sensitivities over the last few years, I noticed my tummy not appreciating the attributes of P.B. anymore and, therefore, have been denying myself of this sticky seductress. Until now.

I recently discovered something that I dare say is actually better than my good old P.B. It is slightly sweeter and has that yummy, velvety texture with just a hint of salt...and it can be crunchy too, if you like. And here's the real clincher, it's much healthier! I'm talkin' about Sun Butter!!!

This amazing spread is made from the humble sunflower seed! And although it is made from such a tiny kernel, it packs tremendous flavor! One of my favorite snacks is to dip apple slices into crunchy sun butter with a drizzle of pure honey - amazing! And my latest exploration has led me to Sun Butter Ice Cream...mmmmm! So very rich and creamy with the sweet/salty taste that leaves you wanting more. I use this recipe from Karina Allrich as my base. Here's what I do:

2 cups unsweetened So Delicous Coconut Milk (the one in the green carton)
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. 1/4 tsp. coconut flour (instead of x.g.)
large pinch sea salt

-Whisk it all up really well, especially if using the coconut flour, so there are no lumps. Pour into ice cream maker and let it go for about 10 minutes. Add:

2 very generous soup spoonfuls crunchy sun butter (in the last 10 minutes of the ice cream cycle)

-Let in whirl about another 5-10 minutes until it's very thick. Eat right then (soft-serve style) or place in container and freeze.

So, so good!

2 comments:

  1. This couldn't have come at a better time! With my new found peanut sensitivity I have been missing out on yummy PB! This sounds amazing! I am going to search for it :-) Thanks! Such great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karylin! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by this product - I know I was!

    ReplyDelete